Ten commandments for a great marriage
Here are Ten Commandments for building a great marriage:
1) God said, ‘Honor…marriage,’ so remain faithful to one another. Forsaking all others, put your mate before your mother, your father, your son, and your daughter. Your mate is your lifelong companion.
2) Remember, ‘You…are the temple of God and…the Spirit of God lives in you’ (1 Corinthians 3:16 NLT). Don’t abuse your health with excessive food, tobacco, drugs, and alcohol, and hopefully you’ll enjoy a long, healthy life around the people you love.
3) Never permit your business or hobby to make you a stranger to your own family. ‘Children are a gift from the LORD…a reward from him’ (Psalm 127:3 NLT), and the most precious gift you can give them is your time.
4) Don’t forget that cleanliness is a virtue.
5) Willingly share all your worldly goods, and don’t make your mate a beggar. ‘Go all out in…love…as Christ did for the church – a love marked by giving, not getting’ (Ephesians 5:25 MSG).
6) Don’t forget to say, ‘I love you.’ Even though your love may be constant, your spouse never gets tired of hearing those words.
7) Remember that the approval of your spouse is worth more than the admiring glances of a hundred strangers.
8) Keep your home peaceful and in good repair, for out of it comes the joys of old age.
9) Always forgive with grace, for who among us doesn’t need to be forgiven? ‘Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive…as quickly and thoroughly as…Christ forgave you’ (Ephesians 4:32 MSG).
10) Honor God, and your children are much more likely to grow up and honor you (see Proverbs 22:6).
‘Honor…marriage.’ Hebrews 13:4 NLT